the first description of the Abram Morris Dancers and their Maypole dates
from 1880, the Ordnance Survey map of 1846 records the existence of the
plot of land in Park Lane known as the Morris Dancers’ Ground. This is
adjacent to May Pole House, a farm that took its name from the dancers’
Maypole. When a coal pit was opened on Park Lane in 1895, it was named
Maypole Colliery because of its proximity to the Morris Dancers’ Ground.
It is likely that the customary use of the Park Lane plot for the erection
of a Maypole and Morris dancing around it dates back to the eighteenth
century (or earlier) and the tradition in Abram may be contemporary with
the Maypoles in other Lancashire towns and villages. Interestingly there
are no records of the dance ever having taken place on, or even about, May
Day. The traditional time for the Morris Dance is at the end of June or in
early July. This coincides with the local Wakes Week.