1901 to 1984



There were no performances of the dance after 1901, although Maypole dancing is recorded in about 1913. There are also records of a girls team dancing processional Morris during the fund raising Gala Days during the First World War. The first trainer of these girls teams was a man named McMasters who came over to Abram by bike from either Hindley or Westhoughton. These girls teams continued to dance in Abram for many years, particularly at the Rose Queen festivals, trained by an Abram girl, Lydia MacNamara. William Wright's sister-in-law danced in one of the early teams and one of Peter Grimshaw's grand-daughters was a member of a later team, trained by a Mr Wogan and accompanied on concertina by Bill Lawton who lived in Warrington Road at the top end of Abram
In 1922, 21 years after the last recorded performance, the dance failed to take place. A local farmer, Mr J. T. Rigby  wrote to Abram Urban District Council about preserving the Morris Dancers' Ground. After several meetings and reports, four concrete posts were fixed to mark the boundary of the land in July 1924 and are clearly marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1929.The council last inspected these posts in 1932 on the occasion of the annual inspection of roads.
In 1931 Maud Karpeles obtained the notation of the dance from Richard Porter of Hindley who had learned the dance from an old Abram dancer several years previously. Richard Porter's handwritten notation describes it as "Old English Morris Dance" and says it is 100 years old and it also mentions Adam Ingram with the date 1883. Richard Porter died shortly after Maud Karpeles' visit.
In the autumn of 1932 members of the local EFDSS branches in Liverpool and Manchester were active in carrying out research on behalf of Maud Karpeles who directed their enquiries by post from her home in London. A great deal of correspondence passed between these tireless workers and various members of Abram Urban District Council and the Wigan Coal Corporation and an exploratory visit to Abram was made by the staff of the Liverpool office of EFDSS. In November 1932 Maud Karpeles herself visited Abram and met Adam Ingram and others from the 1901 performance. Shortly afterwards her description of the dance was published in the Journal of the EFDSS, with one or two omissions and mistakes in the notation which were not corrected for some time afterwards.
John Leyland's description of the Morris Dancers Ground was regularly published at the front of the pocket diaries produced by Abram UDC and in 1976 Cllr. William Wright, a former Chairman of the Council and son-in-law of one of the 1901 team applied for the Morris Dancers Ground to be registered as Common Land, having previously had it awarded village green status. As a Pit Deputy at the Maypole Colliery he had already prevented the mineral railway lines being laid across the Morris Dancers Ground.

back to top